Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Land of maya

It's raining! It was raining when we arrived and it's raining again when we are leaving this madness called Pattaya! The same kind of rain. Beautiful but irritating.
I don't know what the people think about Pattaya but for me this trip was completely different from what I imagined it to be. Apart from the never ending alcoholism, the mad dancing to 'honey singh' in the hotel, the all night dancing to rock music in the Rock bars. the walks on walking street, the lazy days spent at the beach  ordering drinks and barbequed food while watching the sunset and the huge "Pattaya city" sign change colors, the uncountable foot massages, head & shoulder massages, and the turkish icecream guy, there is more.
It's something that makes me happy and sad at the same time. I can't quite place a finger on it but I'm wondering if it's the absolute beauty of this place, or the openness of people, readily asking for "boom-boom" or watching "model" shows with family and kids, or how it looks completely different during the day and then transforms during the night.
Or is it me, how for the first time I totally disconnected from the world. There was no worry about work, or the upcoming "biggest" day of my life, no calls made home or anywhere else. No one to call after reaching home, or no one to tell where I'm going, what am I doing. Not even the "Are you all right? Had food?" calls from mom. Was this absolute freedom? I don't yet know whether I'm in love with it or am I absolutely terrified of it. I guess I'll know in time. I guess I will be able to figure out the madness that is Pattaya!
For now, I'm enjoying the drive back to Bangkok, the beautiful yet irritating rain, the music in my headphones, the gorgeous view and the strange happy sad feeling in my heart.

Memories and madness,
Highs & Lows,
Drowsy days and bright nights
Of loud cheers and petty fights,

A Turkish man with an ice-cream cone,
Who won't let you touch it, till he's done!
Of old friendships growing strong,
Of new friends made who were quickly gone,

Lazy beaches with golden sands,
Different beers from different lands
Of 'Hollywood' and it's craziness,
Of fishy food that's a stinking mess.

A thousand thoughts but words so few,
Of pain felt, while saying "Adieu!"
A crazy dream or the land of maya,
I'll someday figure you out, Pattaya!


2 comments:

The Shenaniganner said...

Same same. That amazing feeling of having nothing you "must" do. Pity about the non stop rain though!

Shady said...

Ahh .. the rain was there only when we arrived and when we were leaving Pattaya!
The little drizzle!